Browse the FAQs below to find quick answers to your questions and if you don’t find the answer, please tell us.
How do I insert my SIM card / and SD Card?
The S42 only accepts Nano SIM card. To insert it:
1. Place your device on a flat surface with the display facing upwards and open the SIM protective cover.
2. Use your fingernail to pull out the SIM tray.
3. Put the Nano SIM card in the SIM tray on the tray guide with gold pins facing downwards. There are two slots for allowing for two SIMs to be inserted. If only using one SIM, insert it into the middle slot (between the SD card and the last SIM slot on the tray)
4. Insert the SIM tray back into the SIM card slot and ensure the SIM protective cover is completely closed.
Which Android operating system will S42 launch with and will it be upgraded later?
S42 will launch with Android 10 and will be upgraded to Android 11 later.
My phone gets very warm
The phone will get warm when it is being heavily used (such as streaming video, GPS navigation, charging, or other functions/apps continuously running in the background. Some heat dissipation may occur when this occurs making the phone feel very warm. This is normal.
To test to see if an application running in the background is causing this issue, try using the phone in ” Safe mode”. When safe mode is enabled, only the minimum applications are loaded when the phone is started. No user-added applications can be run when in this mode.
To enable safe mode:
With the phone on, press the power button until the pop-up window displays. Tap and hold the “Power off” icon and the phone will prompt to confirm if you wish to reboot into safe mode. Once confirmed, the phone will reboot with minimum drivers and show “Safe mode” at the bottom of the screen.
How can I back up data to an external storage device?
On your Cat S42 device:
1. Connect the Micro USB connector between the device and the external device (for example, a laptop).
2. Pull down the notification bar (swipe down from the top of the display) and look for “Android System charging this device via USB”. Tap this and select the option for example select Picture Transfer (PTP) or File Transfer.
3. On the laptop, you can look for the S42 in your File Explorer (Windows).
4. Select item to transfer.
How can I transfer data to another device via Bluetooth (for example an image)?
1. Locate the file that you wish to share on your device.
2. If you only want to send one item, for example, a photograph, tap on it and then tap the share icon.
3. Select the Bluetooth sharing option.
4. Choose which Bluetooth enabled device to send the file to.
5. Accept the incoming file on the target device.
How do I carry out a Factory reset on the device?
Be sure to back up any data on the phone and remove any Google or other accounts prior to performing this action!
Note: This action will not remove files from any installed MicroSD card but will wipe any user files from phone memory.
1. Go to “Settings”, then tap “System”.
2. Tap “Advanced”, then “Reset options”.
3. Tap “Erase all data”, then confirm when prompted. The phone will reboot and will run through the setup process as if booting for the first time.
How do I change the default SMS app?
Download and install the desired app to handle SMS/Text messaging. After installing the app:
1. Go to “Settings”, then tap “Apps & notifications”
2. Scroll to and tap “Default apps” (you may need to tap “Advanced” if this option is not shown.)
3. Tap “SMS app” and select the desired SMS app.
How do I Clear the cache and browser History?
1. On your S42, open the Chrome app.
2. Tap the 3 vertical dots (upper right of display) and then tap Settings.
3. Under “Advanced,” tap Privacy and then Clear browsing data.
4. Choose a time range, like Last hour or All time.
5. Select the types of information you want to remove.
6. Tap Clear data.
How do I copy contacts from the SIM card to the Device?
1. Launch the Contacts app.
2. Tap on the top left menu icon (three horizontal bars).
3. Tap “Settings”.
4. Tap “Import”.
5. Select SIM card.
6. Select contacts to import from the SIM card.
How do I customise the Notifications, sound and vibration for incoming messages?
1. Launch the Messaging app
2. Tap the options menu top right corner (3 vertical dots) and select the “Settings” menu
3. Scroll down to “Notifications” section
4. Next to Notifications, tick to enable/disable notifications.
5. Tap “Incoming messages”. In this section, you can enable or disable alerts.
6. To change the notification sound played: Tap”Advanced”, then tap “Sound” and select the desired sound for incoming messages.
7. Within the above “Advanced” screen, you can toggle vibration on or off as desired for incoming messages.
How do I find my IMEI Number?
The IMEI is a 15-digit number used to uniquely identify your phone. It may contain dashes or spaces between numbers.
1. The IMEI be found on the outside of the box that you received your phone.
2. If the box is not available, type into the device via the keyboard*#06# a pop-up box will show the device IMEI.
3. Select Settings and then About phone and then Status, you will now have the option to select IMEI information.
4. Just below the SD Card slot (behind the SIM/SD ports) is a small white label that is inserted into the phone that can slide outwards. It contains IMEI information on it. Be careful not to pull the label too far out as it may separate from the phone.
5. Your service provider will have this information if your phone has been active on their network.
6. Sales receipts will sometimes include this information.
How do I improve battery life?
• Turn on adaptive battery. Settings > Battery > Adaptive battery – toggle on.
• When the battery gets to 15% or lower, turn on “Battery saver mode”. Settings > Battery > Adaptive battery – toggle on.
• Applications (such as Skype™) that frequently utilize VOIP (Voice over IP) and other data via Wi-Fi or 3G/4G can significantly reduce battery life. Disable any such applications when maximum battery life is desired.
• Set the display sleep to a start after 15 seconds of inactivity. To change the display timeout settings: from the home screen tap > Settings > Display >Advanced > Screen timeout > select a shorter delay time (suggested 15 seconds).
• Reduce the intensity of the display. To change the display’s brightness, Settings > Display > Brightness level > drag the control bar to the left for a dimmer display or right for a brighter display.
• Disable Wi-Fi when not using it. To disable Wi-Fi: Settings > Network and Internet > tap the on/off button so it is no longer green.
• Make sure your phone has the latest software updates. To check for the latest updates: Settings > System > System update > Check for update.
• Stop any unnecessary programs you installed from running in the background by: Settings > Apps and notifications > See all apps > select and disable any apps that you do not need. Note! Only stop applications that you have installed. Stopping other pre-installed applications may result in poor phone performance or errors.
• When a phone is in a low/no signal area, it will frequently scan to see if there is a better signal to lock on to. If one cannot be found, it will attempt to continue searching resulting in additional battery drain.
How do I insert an SD card and what is the format?
1. Place your device on a flat, clean surface with the display facing upwards.
2. Use your fingertip to pull out the SIM/SD door and the SIM/SD tray.
3. Place the microSD card into the first slot (larger than then others) with gold pins of the memory card also facing down.
5. Carefully insert the tray back into the SIM card slot and reposition the door.
The S42 supports MicroSD class 10 cards up to 128GB.
How do I know there is a device update available, how do I check I have the latest SW?
NOTE: When a new Firmware/Software is available, notifications are sent out to all Cat S42 devices.
On the home screen, an Icon will show in the notification panel. When the icon appears you can drag down the notification panel and select.
To manually update:
1. Go to the Settings menu.
2. Scroll to the bottom of this screen, and select “System”
3. Select the “System update”
4. Select “Advanced”
5. Select the “System update” and then tap “Check for update” icon on the bottom right of the display.
The device should be fully charged prior to updating the phone
How do I pair to another Bluetooth device?
1. Go to the Settings menu;
2. Select the ‘Connected devices’ settings;
3. Select ‘Pair with new device’;
4. The ‘Search for Devices’ will start.
5. Select the device you wish to connect to in the list displayed.
6. If required, confirm the passkey shown on your device and the device you want to pair with is the same and then select ‘Pair’.
Phone is talking back to me and telling me which button I pressed
TalkBack is activated. To disable it:
1. Using two fingers, drag the status bar down.
2. Double-tap the settings (gear icon).
3. Scroll through the settings menus using two fingers until you see Accessibility.
4. Tap Accessibility and then double-tap Accessibility.
5. Tap TalkBack then double-tap TalkBack
6. Tap the switch and then double-tap the switch to turn off TalkBack.
What is the IP and MIL SPEC rating for the Cat S42?
IP stands for “Ingress Protection. The Cat S42 is rated as IP68. The “6” in this rating refers to the dust rating. This phone is rated as “Dust Tight” meaning complete protection against dust intrusion as long as all port covers are properly closed.
The 8 in the rating refers to the phone’s ability to be submerged in water. The Cat S42 can be submerged in up to 4 feet of water for 35 minutes as long as all port covers are properly closed.
The MIL-SPEC rating for the Cat S42 is MIL-SPEC 810G making the Cat S42 drop proof to 1.5m (5′), dustproof (when all port covers are properly closed), and vibration proof (Category 4 – Truck/Trailer – Secured Cargo ).
What do the different colours of the LED indicate?
Flashing Red – Low Battery warning less than 15% Battery level
Solid Red – Battery level is below 15% and currently being charged
Solid Orange – Battery level is between 15% and 90% and currently being charged
Solid Green – Battery level is above 90% and currently being charged
Flashing Blue – Indicates a notification has been received (Message unread, missed call, email etc.)
How do I resolve when Poor Sound Quality is experienced?
There are a number of contributing factors which can affect the audio performance of your device for example:
1. The most common cause of poor sound quality is water in the microphone or speaker. If the handset has been subject to immersion in water then the microphone and speaker may need to dry out for them to resume to normal functionality.
2. If the incoming call has been routed long distance and is being routed through a number of service providers telecoms infrastructure.
3. Technical performance between handset manufacturers, this can be software or hardware related.
4. The environment the handset is used in, especially where there is background noise, typically traffic in a busy city environment or large shopping malls and airports.
5. When speaking into the phone normally (not in hands-free mode), be sure to hold the top of the phone to the ear and bottom near your mouth. Letting the bottom of the phone move away from your mouth can cause muffled audio to heard on by the person on the other end.
What should I do when experiencing Reception Issues?
1. Poor quality of calls: Please check if the volume of the device is adjusted to an acceptable comfortable level.
2. When the device is used in the areas with poor signal, e.g. near the high buildings or in basements, the call quality may be affected adversely.
3. When this device is used in a high call intensity period, like the rush hours, call failure may be caused by network congestion
4. Standby time is reduced, Standby time is related to the system setting of network, it may be that the phone is used in an area with poor signal. Where there is poor signal, the phone will constantly attempt to communicate by searching for base station signal and your battery will lose charge quicker, hence the standby time is reduced.
What do I need to do if “Enter PUK code” is displayed?
1. Following three consecutive failures to input the correct SIM card PIN code, the PIN code will be blocked and the request for the PUK code will be displayed.
2. Before attempting to input the PUK code ensure that you have the correct code provided by Network provider.
3. After ten unsuccessful attempts to input the PUK code, the SIM card will be permanently disabled.
4. Once the SIM card is permanently disabled you will need to contact the relevant operator to purchase a New SIM card.
What do I do if “Emergency Call only” is displayed on your Home screen?
1. This will be displayed if there are issues with the SIM card.
2. Additionally, if you are in an area not covered by your Network Provider.
What should I do if the device displays message “No Service”?
1. This may be displayed if you are in an area that is not covered by your Network provider, or if you are in an area of poor reception.
2. No service will be displayed on your screen until the situation is resolved by relocating to an area of service.
3. If this problem persists when in a known good service location, contact your Network provider to ensure there are no restrictions on service or your SIM services.
4. Restarting your phone will force the phone to rescan the network to see if a better signal is available.
What does the Message “Please Insert SIM” card indicate?
This message may appear if your device does not recognize the SIM card.
1. Make sure that you have correctly inserted the SIM card.
2. Clean the metal side of the SIM card with a dry cloth.
3. If the SIM card still not being recognized, please contact your Network provider to ensure the SIM card has been enabled or to check if they have any further instructions.
How do I turn On/Off predictive text?
1. Go to Settings menu, scroll down to and tap “System”
2. Scroll down and tap ” Language & input”
3. Select the keyboard currently used and tap “Text correction”.
4. Locate “Next word suggestions” and toggle on/off as desired.
What is the Yellow (Programmable) button for and how do I use this?
This button allows you to open specific Apps on either short or long press of the Programmable button.
1. Go to the Settings menu, scroll down to “Programmable Key” and toggle the option on.
2. This will open three options for the device: PTT (push to talk), Short press and Long press. If you are using a service such as Zello, select the “PTT” option.
3. Tap on Short or Long press. This will open a screen where you have a number of applications that you can select from, for example; the open the Camera answer or to answer or hang-up the phone.
Note: Only one option can be used at a time.
How do I resolve when Poor Sound Quality is experienced following immersion in water?
1. If the handset has been subject to immersion in water then the microphone and speaker will need to dry out for them to resume to normal functionality.
2. Place the device in an area where the microphone and speaker can dry out.
How do I perform a reset, when my screen is blank?
1. To reset the device, keep the power button pressed for about 30 seconds or until vibration is felt.
2. Device will now power on, perform and charge as expected.
✣ Network bands in regions may be different, depending on the mobile operator and your location. Upload and download speeds also depend on the mobile operator.
Available storage is less due to phone software. Battery times (talk time, standby time, and more) are based on 3G and are subject to network and phone usage. Note: Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.